Welcome!

Life is sooooooooooooo busy as a working momma of THREE kids... but, life is also full of so many "little" things...you know, those simple pleasures that really bring so much joy... I'm mostly thinking of the dopey things that my kids say and do that make me laugh... but also the little adventures we have or the day trips that we do... you think you will remember them all, but those memories really do fade over time. I am hoping to sit down once a month (ideally, once a week, but being that I hardly manage one decent shower a week, we'll aim for once a month for now! LOL) to detail those quotable quotes or beautiful little actions (or those not so much) as well as our family activities. I hope you enjoy!! :)

Saturday, May 11, 2013

MA! John's Got a GIRLfriend! ;)

My Brothers and I!
     The best thing about family, for me, is its ability to GROW!!  As I've shared in my intro, I grew up surrounded by BOYS... they were EVERYWHERE... seriously!  I had but ONE female cousin, four years my junior (and, OF COURSE, the Rose's Godmother... no brainer!) until I was in high school (shout out to Marisa!) and then college (BETHANY, who's now in college herself!) and then in my grown up years (Uncle Bob got a late start with kids)... So, I have very much enjoyed watching my brothers find girls and settle down.  That means more estrogen (and hopefully less politics, BORING!) around the holiday dinner table!  So, in honor of my older brother's recent engagement, I thought I'd blog about how our family has grown over the years... for the better!
   In case any of you reading don't know, JOHN is also my older brother's name (well, and my uncle's, my cousin's, my grandpa's...) in addition to my hubby's.  If you were to ask my husband if he went out and got a girlfriend as the title of this post might lead you to believe, he would schmirk and then inform you that he can barely handle ME, let alone a girlfriend, too! ;)  Yes, we are working on the "correct" answer which is, of course, that he's already found the love of his life, so why would he go out and get himself a girlfriend!? ;)  And, while we are on the topic of too many Johns (guys named Johns, that is, not the OTHER kind), I would like to point out that John is ALSO the name of my SIL, Ali's, brother... So, her kids are blessed with not one, not two, but THREE Uncle Johns!!  LOL... that's got to be some sort of record, no??!
Our first pic together, back in
the day... Chris is in HS!! YIKES!
    So, HUSBAND John was the first to come along.  We started dating, officially, in April of 2001.  We had a whirlwind romance, getting engaged Christmas Eve 2001 and married October 5, 2002.  You ought to ask him about the first time he came to my house for dinner.  I'm pretty sure it was just Chris there with my parents, but at that time, that was enough!  Chris was in the midst of adolescent angst.  He and my mother picked the dinner table that night to go at it.  About what?  I can't recall.  But, I was MORTIFIED and John left just as soon as it was humanly possible and it not be rude.  I like to remind Chris from time to time that he almost single-handedly ran John off!!  He's grown up just a bit then!
   
Thought I'd throw this one
in for fun!
      <--------- And then came Alison!!  This picture was taken at my wedding!!  She was there!!  Of course, I don't think I'd met her yet OR even talked to her that day, but she was there... maybe we had met... think her memory is as bad as mine, but, in any event, there is Bryan at my wedding with his date who would become his wife!!

     Less than a year later, we had our "first" pic together at my cousin's wedding!!  By then, Ali was becoming a regular around our family events and she and Bryan were pretty serious.  Super cool for me!!  Then, in August of 2003, I got to be a part of their engagement story!!  Bryan was living in Germany.  Alison knew he was coming home, but he decided to surprise her early.  So, John (of the husband variety) and I planned to meet up with Alison and one of her sisters to hike at Great Falls.  Bryan was hiding at their favorite spot and popped out, totally surprising her, and proposed! :)  So, Ali and Bryan were official.

Looks much better with
almost 50/50 male to female
ratio, no??!
     It has taken 10 years, and a joke (great foreshadowing on my part!) on my summer blog (see ROAD Trip, Part I... the part about the plane ride to Jacksonville...), but older brother John is settling down!!  We first heard the rumor of a girlfriend this past Christmas.  Although blindsided by the news, I have to say, in hindsight, that I KNEW!  This past fall we were having some problems with our computer.  So, what did I do?  As per usual in our family, I called the computer guy- brother John.  He talked me through a few things and within a half hour or so we were back in business.  The odd thing?  He was uncharacteristically chipper.  We'll just leave it at that.  Think I even remarked to hubby John after I hung up that the call had been weird! ;)  Hearing the news at Christmas made me recall that past conversation!  And, a week later, celebrating New Year's Eve at Alison & Bryan's, we got to meet her:  Virginia!  As my family seems to like to keep names simple, she will not be the FIRST Virginia Wenzel.  In fact, my Aunt Ginny (my dad's baby sister and the first Virginia Wenzel) happens to be married to my Uncle John.  Completely serious! So, yes, Virginias and Johns seem to work! ;)  Can't help but put a little shout out to Train here... http://youtu.be/VlHQ7aDJq6w... although, I know she does NOT smoke a pack a day and I'm fairly sure she does not wear high heels when she exercises (although that would be pretty cool!), but I've always liked the song, and none of us could seriously wait to meet Virginia!! :)  Seriously.  John is not one to bring a girl around.  And, I know that his standards are high.  We were all dying to meet her!!  The verdict??  A perfect match for sure!! :)  If I had to envision someone for my brother, it would be Virginia- plain and simple.  And, what's more, she fit right in and seems to be able to handle my CRAZY family just fine.  So, when I got an interesting text this passed March from my brother, and I quote: "Give me a call when you get a chance."  I was SUPER excited as I was pretty sure an announcement would be on the other end of the line!! John and Virginia are official!!!  It's been just about a year since there's been a Wenzel wedding (if you've never been to one, you're missing out!), and it looks like we won't have to wait much longer for the next one... So, stay tuned!!  They are thinking November... I'm sure that I will blog about it!! :)
     Welcome to the family, Virginia!!!  Ali and I are especially happy to have you! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment