Welcome!

Life is sooooooooooooo busy as a working momma of THREE kids... but, life is also full of so many "little" things...you know, those simple pleasures that really bring so much joy... I'm mostly thinking of the dopey things that my kids say and do that make me laugh... but also the little adventures we have or the day trips that we do... you think you will remember them all, but those memories really do fade over time. I am hoping to sit down once a month (ideally, once a week, but being that I hardly manage one decent shower a week, we'll aim for once a month for now! LOL) to detail those quotable quotes or beautiful little actions (or those not so much) as well as our family activities. I hope you enjoy!! :)

Sunday, December 30, 2012

What a Difference a Year Makes!

Ho, ho, ho!
Santa's Visit 12/15/12
So, it struck me today, as we were getting ready for Santa's annual drive down our block on a fire truck, that this was the subject of my VERY first blog entry in January of last year!!!  I feel like I have come full circle and am excited about all of our documented family fun from 2012!!  And, what a difference a year makes!!

What a BIG girl! :)
Of course, the obvious, is our little rose!  She has just about doubled her age and at nearly two, a year makes a HUGE difference!!  This year, she was able to join us when waiting for Santa, rather than being up for a nap.  She has become a PISTOL (and a half!) and we SWEAR is far busier than the boys put together at her age.  I'm thinking it's simply because she is so FIERCELY independent and DETERMINED to keep up with those same two boys who are much older (at this point) than she is!!  She is playful, loving, and just a beautiful joy to us all.  She does not WALK any where... she hops and skips everywhere with the biggest of smiles on her face.  She just LOVES to be out and about! It warms my heart to see how BOTH boys love her and look after her!!



"Seriously, mom?!  Really?"  Ryan's
catch-phrases of the year!
And then, of course, this past year brought Ryan making that Rite of Passage from preschooler to Kindergardener.  He is an amazing little man.  He is a verbally precocious soul who we swear needs an "off" button (although, truth be told, he is HILARIOUS and if you ever want to have a good time, just borrow him... he could make a simple trip to the store the most amusing experience).  Apparently, school is his off button!  He is focused and driven there (this totally makes us chuckle!)... and is learning RAPIDLY, not only because he hangs on the every word of his teachers, but also because he comes home and prides himself in finding his site words EVERYWHERE.  He shares so much of his learning (because he is that people-person who learns best through talking!) with us and it is beautiful to watch him learn and grow!!  He also can sit at his desk and engage himself in an assignment (teacher, mommy, or Ryan-given) in a way we have NEVER seen him focus.  True beauty!


Who is Patrick without a bird
by his side?! LOL... this has been
the year of the bird... bringing
obsession to a whole other level
And, Patrick?  He is no longer a little guy!  He truly is a big boy and it is bittersweet to watch him make his way in this world.  As a 2nd grader, he really is well under way.  At the end of this school year, he will already be halfway through elementary school!  He is rapidly learning... is not too interested in reading BOOKS for fun, but is QUICK to read signs around as he plays that leadership role to his younger siblings.  He is becoming driven by big kid tests (makes me proud... NOT!) and takes them seriously, often reminding me that we have to sit down and study for them.  Looking at him in the classroom now, you would NEVER in a million years guess the struggles he had in preschool.  He is about as straight and narrow as they come, doing the right thing in the classroom as a model student!  He remains incredibly creative and he loves to make videos and direct productions (of all types) in his free time.

 Our three three friends, who have grown so much this past year, gathered together this morning (I have never seen the boys get dressed SOOOOOOO quickly and without argument as they did today, knowing that Santa was on his way!) to wait for Santa.  The boys SUPER excited since, well, you know, the Halloween basket is getting kinda low, and Santa usually throws candy out from the truck, so.... Sweet Katy-Kate had not a clue what was going on, but LOVES to be outside, so she was happily bouncing around (and throwing the leaves John had raked into piles up in the air), but would pause occasionally when she would hear the fire engine as we can often hear it long before we see it.
LOOOOOK!  There he is!
WHOOOOOOA!
Santa's elf waves!!
  And then??!  We saw the fire engine first.  And, for sweet Katy, that would have been exciting enough--to have a fire engine, with lights flashing, and siren calling, pass by so closely!  But then, there was an elf, tossing candy out the window and Santa, himself, waving hello!!
Yes, that is Patrick running into the
street to get the candy... there's no
looking both ways at a time like this!
Ryan hops right to the candy...
Katy has no conception, otherwise
she'd be RIGHT there!  Katy <3s candy!
 I always get a kick out of watching the kids scramble for the candy... First of all, we are the ONLY kids out there... There are a couple kids a few doors down as well as down the block, but the elf throws to each house, so the candy is ours, no need to worry.  Second of all, the kids (well, except the wild thing) are SOOOOOO great about the street and looking for permission as well as looking both ways before going out into it... Well, that all goes RIGHT out the door when there is candy in the street... no cares that the fire engine, a MASSIVE piece of machinery that would squish them for sure, just passed by and will be back... we MUST get our candy.  Third, we never do get around to finishing any candy and it's not like they are allowed to eat it at will... why the need to have so much?  Truth be told mommy and daddy (well, more accurately, mommy, DUH!) are going to eat most of it!!  LOL.  Anyway.  Our final BIG event for the year, prior to Christmas!!

That should do it for this year!  We have a busy Christmas on tap for this year (John's family PLUS mine... ALL of our siblings, our parents, my nephews are ALL spending the day with us... plus my grandfather and one of my uncles...I can't WAIT for the full house... and, yes, I'm going to make a meal for all of them... and, yes, that SHALL be interesting, LOL... might need to be one of my first blog posts of the new year, assuming I survive!), so I know the next two weeks will FLY by...

As I sign off for the year, I want to give a shout out to my biggest fans out there... my young mommy friends at work who have actually told me, separately,  that they strive to be just like ME (to which I always get a big CHUCKLE since I feel like I spend my life in the constant turbulence of a wind tunnel, but I LOVE to hear it... there truly is no bigger compliment and it makes me feel SO good!), I always like to remind them that what's written on paper and captured by picture is often WAAAAAYYYYYY quieter and far calmer than the chaos that goes into ANY family event... and by "event," I am even including just getting us all dressed and out of the house in the morning.  Writing this the day after the tragedy at Sandy Hook Elementary School, I am today, as I am everyday, incredibly thankful and feel TRULY blessed to have my beautiful little family.  My life is a flurry of activity and it is rarely TOTALLY calm, but I wouldn't change an absolute thing.  And, we as a family are lucky to be surrounded by so many people who love and support us... that is, after all, what life is all about!! :)

Much love to all!!
<3 Kimberly (John, Patrick, Ryan, and our Sweet Little Rose)


P.S. I put this down and didn't publish immediately... OOOOOOPS!  Survived Christmas, in spite of the flu debacle that was Katy!! :)  New Year's Eve is tomorrow... Excited to ring in 2013!! :)

P.P.S. Here are some other pictures from today:

My little people!


Only Katy could get away with
playing in J's leaf piles! ;)


Kisses!

More kisses!


Patrick, thinking he'd have a
little alone time!

Let me help, Patrick!

Football instead?!

TACKLE!

We interrupt this game to visit
the puppies who came out to play!
No, we will NOT be getting a
puppy...

I got it!!!

Go deep!
Back inside...

Don't let the look fool you,
I am the NAUGHTIEST
little thing! ;)


No comments:

Post a Comment